Of all the things you do on a regular basis, having your hair styled by a hairdresser is probably the most enjoyable. The fun of fashion today is that you can experiment with hair colors, trims, haircuts, brow shapes and other treatments. Women in Australia spend thousands of dollars a year for beauty products and salon services, so you may probably be interested in knowing, particularly speaking, about the things your hairdresser wants you to know.
- You can insist on a hair treatment, but not all of them can be good for you. If you’ve had your hair colored 23 times before your salon visit, telling your hairdresser you want to go platinum blonde won’t probably work without extensively damaging your hair. Perms are strong hair treatments and your hair may be too weak for them.
- If you tell your hairdresser to “do whatever you think looks good”, he/she will do exactly that. It’s a good idea to at least know what you want before you visit a beauty salon. If you have a brunette hair and your stylist thinks coloring it blonde looks good, then you are allowing him to do that. If you cannot stand the thought of this, tell your hairstylist immediately. After all, it is YOUR hair.
- Beautician is not synonymous to magician. If you got an expert hairstylist working on your makeover, he can most probably give you that hair you want to achieve, but he most certainly cannot give you the face of your favorite celebrity. We’re not saying that you can’t look like them—we’re saying you must not expect too much. You can have your hair lightened, darkened, curled or trimmed the way you want, but it might not look the same on you as it is on your fabulous celebrity idol. If you see a hairstyle you really love, take a few days to think whether you really think it will look good on you or you just really, really adore Miley Cyrus.
- The products we recommend can actually make your hair look better. Many women think that the products that their hairdressers recommend are simply for advertisement purposes. They go to a salon and spend hundreds of dollars for their hair, and then go home and use a $3 shampoo. This completely destroys their hair color. Now, do better and protect your investment. A good shampoo and conditioner may be more expensive but they contain all the ingredients your hair needs in order to stay healthy. These products can actually give your hair the shine, texture and hold that you want. Hairdressers usually recommend products not to make money but to actually gain long-term customers.
- Putting down your cell phone—and your lunch—will help a lot. Talking on the phone while getting a hair treatment will distract your hairstylist. No hairstylist can do his job properly while you move from side to side and laugh from time to time. The constant motion is not helpful at all. Also, it is best to eat first before your appointment with your hairdresser.